The faculty and administration at Garrett Academy of Technology consider parents to be active partners in the creation and implementation of a strong, effective educational program. In order to facilitate the achievement of this goal, we encourage parents to visit our campus and become an active participant in their child’s education. For the safety of those within the school setting, all visitors are expected to demonstrate the highest standards of courtesy and conduct. Arrangements to visit the campus and/or observe classes must be made at least twenty-four hours in advance. Parents may arrange school visits by calling 745-7126. In accordance with CCSD policy, all visits and classroom observations must be authorized by the principal.
- All visitors must report to the front office upon arrival to obtain a visitor badge
- All visitors must provide either a valid driver’s license, a state issued identification card, work visa, or green card
- All visitors must be cleared by the Raptor Visitor Tracking System
- Visitor badges must be visibly worn at all times while on campus
- Visitor badges should be returned to the front office upon departure
- Visitors who do not obtain clearance through the front office will be considered trespassing.The administration is empowered to take appropriate action against non-students who are not cleared to be in the building, school grounds or other school property.
Classroom Observation Guidelines
- Parents/Guardians in classrooms are observers and should not become involved in discussions or classroom activities unless invited to do so by the teacher
- Please do not interact with your student or the other students in the classroom during your observation
- If there is a need for a discussion with any teacher or staff member, a conference must be scheduled through the front office to take place outside of instructional time, the transition of classes, or immediately after school
- Parents/Guardians may not interact with any other student other than their own while in the hallways or common areas regardless of the relationship to other students to include, but not limited to the following:sisters, brothers, grandchildren, neighbors, friends, nieces, nephews, etc.during their visit to the school
- To maintain an environment conducive to learning, parents/guardians may not bring siblings or other children with them for classroom observations or when volunteering
- Cell phones and all other electronic devices must be turned off while in instructional settings
- It is unlawful to record classes without the knowledge and agreement of all parties being recorded and the permission of the parents of minor children and the principal of the school
- Parents/ Guardians to the school must not interfere with the supervisory or instructional responsibilities of school personnel
- Parents/Guardians must adhere to the classroom teacher’sexpectations in reference to food and drinks in the classroom while conducting their observation
- All visitors to the school must adhere to the dress code for CCSD employees
- Friends of students or students from other schools are not allowed to visit the school during the school day
- The total number of visits to any one classroom or program should not exceed two for any one student within a nine week period of time without approval from the building principal
- Classroom observations are limited to parents and legal guardians.Adults other than parents and legal guardians who have been designated to observe a student’s classes by a parent must be approved by the building principal.
- The district staff member in charge of the classroom being observedor the building administrator may, at his or her sole discretion, terminate a visit at any time if, in the professional judgmentof that staff member, the visit is significantly disturbing students, staff, or the learning process or becomes a threat to the health, safety, or welfare of students or staff
- The administration may limit the timing or duration of visits based on the type and intensity of planned instruction or activities, the susceptibility of individual students to the disruption known or likely to be caused by the visit, the stated purpose of the visit, the number of adults the visit will place in a classroom at the same time, and the total amount of traffic in the classroom at or near the time of the visit
- There should be no more one visitor in any one classroom at a time and no more than five visitors in the building at anytime
- Any non parent or legal guardian seeking to visit the school must be authorized by the building principal
All visitors must agree to the policy and guidelines for visitation prior to an authorized visit or classroom observation. The parent/ legal guardian/designated visitor must sign and date this document indicating their knowledge and receipt of these guidelines. The visitor must also receive an additional copy of these guidelines to refer to during their visit or classroom observation. Failure to adhere to these guidelines will forfeit the visitor’s right to future school visits and classroom observations.